Friday, July 01, 2005

Collateral

This movie had a lot of promise. What I found most interesting was Jamie Foxx's character, which was very realistic and believable. My favorite part was the initial scene where Foxx has the conversation with the lady lawyer over the best route. Good way to start the movie and makes you sympathetic for the cab driver right away.

However, it all goes downhill from there. My main problem is I didn't find the whole story believable. Foxx could have escaped several times, yet went along willingly too many times. He did try to get away but was foiled by circumstances I felt were too contrived. The ongoing dialogue between Cruise and Foxx were reputed to be the best parts of the film (and why I wanted to watch it in the first place), but it let me down. I only found it remotely interesting.

The whole plot for me falls apart and I couldn't get past thinking how unbelievable the whole situation was. For example, why doesn't the hitman just kill the driver, or why doesn't the driver get help while in the hospital. After the scene with the cops in the club, I just stopped believing the movie altogether. I didn't find Cruise's character convincing too, it seemed very one dimensional.

One saving grace is the conversation in the jazz bar. They should have made that scene longer.

All in all, a very ordinary movie which let me down.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars * *
Needs a better script.

No comments: