Sunday, July 03, 2005

Close Your Eyes

This was advertised as a 'suspence thriller', 'a cross between Silence of the Lambs and Scanners' but frankly, I was let down. I had expected more from this british film.

It starts out interestingly enough, a hypnotist is hired by a lady cop to help them catch a serial killer who had abducted a little girl, then let her go for no reason. The traumatized girl has become a mute and has not spoken a word since the incident. So our hero applies hypnosis to get information from her.

I found the hypnotist's wife mildly irritating everytime she blamed him for getting them involved in the case. As if the guy doesn't have enough problems already. The character of the serial killer was alright, but for some reason, didn't scare me (I think by this time, every suspense/horror film I've seen after Audition seem tame by comparison.) Also, they could have explained the ending better for slow folks such as myself who don't understand the complicated stuff.

This is ok, not great. Not scary either.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars * *
Just wait for this to be shown on TV.

3 comments:

rmacapobre said...

is hypnosis really proven?

robdelacruz said...

I think it depends on the subject, some are more susceptible to hypnosis than others.

Cris said...

yes apparently hypnosis is proven to work. it is used by many psycho-analysts esp to cure multiple personality disorders (note: MPD is not the same as scizophenia). Hypnosis is used mainly to speaking directly with the different personalities. Read the book, Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber. It's a true story and the first documented case of how hypnosis was used to cure MPD.

--CRIS
(just changed my display name to my second name)